Beyond the Data — Emerging Tickborne Diseases

[MUSIC] [Thorpe] Welcome to Beyond The Data. I’m Dr. Phoebe Thorpe and here with me today is Dr. Bobbi Pritt from the Mayo Clinic. Thank you so much for joining us. [Pritt]Thank you for having me. [Thorpe] Our session today is about tick-borne diseases. We heard a lot of good information about, about tick-borne diseases.…

Addiction Is a Chronic Disease | Vivek Kumar | TEDxDirigo

Translator: Marta Quirós Alarcón Reviewer: Denise RQ Coleen Singer died of a heroin overdose on Christmas Day, 2014. This is from her obituary that was published in the Bangor Daily News, “She was a victim of herself, of politics, of our society’s continuing ignorance and indifference to mental illness, and of our society’s asinine approach…

Dengue and Chikungunya in Our Backyard: Preventing Aedes Mosquito-Borne Diseases

GOOD AFTERNOON. A SEE A FEW MORE PEOPLE ARE COMING IN, BUT I’M HOPING THEY’LL TAKE THEIR SEATS. I’M DR. PHOEBE THORPE. IT’S MY PLEASURE TO WELCOME YOU TO CDC PUBLIC HEALTH GRAND ROUNDS FOR MAY 2015, DENGUE AND CHIKUNGUNYA IN OUR BACKYARD. PUBLIC HEALTH GRAND ROUNDS HAS CONTINUING MEDICAL EDUCATION CREDITS — FOR PHYSICIANS,…

What is Alzheimer’s disease? – Ivan Seah Yu Jun

Every four seconds, someone is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. It’s the most common cause of dementia, affecting over 40 million people worldwide, and yet finding a cure is something that still eludes researchers today. Dr. Alois Alzheimer, a German psychiatrist, first described the symptoms in 1901 when he noticed that a particular hospital patient had…

Tuberculosis (TB): Progression of the Disease, Latent and Active Infections.

Tuberculosis, or TB, is one of the oldest and most common infectious diseases. About one third of the world population is believed to be infected with TB. Fortunately, only about 5% of these infections progress to active disease. The other 95% of infected people are said to have a dormant or latent infection; they do…

One Man’s Experience with Lyme Disease

Announcer: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention present Lyme Disease, One Man’s Experience John: My name is John. I got Lyme disease last July of 2011. I was out in the woods camping with my son, with the Boy Scouts, and we’d been out there for a week and that’s when I got it.…

Reviving a 60-year quest to eradicate a disfiguring disease

In Papua New Guinea, children are playing like they do anywhere in the world. But these kids are at high risk of a tropical skin disease that causes big ulcers. Yaws is caused by a bacterium that infects through wounds and scratches, usually on the legs. It doesn’t kill, but if left untreated, it can…